Question about Windows -- how do you find out the name of an image?

Laura Creighton lac at cd.chalmers.se
Fri May 25 13:04:23 EDT 2001

I'm working on Ulrich Goertz (ugoertz at math.ias.edu)'s problem.  He's
the guy whose Tkinter pulldown checkbutton menus don't work.  He
posted his problem at http://www.g0ertz.de/tkinter.html

Now I am getting to know Tkinter better now, but what I know about
Windows is confined to `how to boot it' `how to insert the game CD'
and `how to shut it off when I am done.'  Yesterday was a holiday in
Sweden but I wanted to work anyhow, and making sure that the
application works under windows _is_ work.  So I found an unused
machine and booted up win 98, and downloaded Pythonware PY20.  And yes
it fails as described ... except that I only get the `checks as ..'
part.  I don't think that I am getting the left-part-of-the-label-is-clipped
bug as well.

Its not just pulldowns, popups fail as well.  And windows has something
called Themes.  Changing the graphic for your `check' using themes does
not make the problem go away.  Its uniformly broken.  And for all I know
somebody made an off-by-one error and `..' is windows for you tried to
display something that is not an integer.

You can sepcify an image for your checkbox menus to use in Tkinter.
So I want to see if I can order windows to use any of the checkbutton
images that it offered me with Themes as a checkbutton.  Ideally, of
course, I want a way to ask windows `what graphic are you using as a
check button?'  and then ask it to use that one explicitly.
But understanding of how to really destroy the enemy in Starcraft
is not of any use here, alas.  Does anybody here know how to do this?

Laura