wxPython or TKinter?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu May 17 23:13:50 EDT 2001

Robert Amesz wrote:
> > I think Tkinter is more mainstream. Are there distinct advantages? Is
> > there a way to speed up wxPython?
>
> Somebody benchmarked wxPython and Tkinter a while back in this group,
> and IIRC wxPython was - depending on the benchmark - between 3 and 7
> times faster. So I don't think switching to Tkinter is going to solve
> your speed problem.

Widgets written for the Tkinter 3000 WCK [1] can be up to 50 times
faster than code using standard Tk widgets.  (That would mean that
Tkinter is 7 to 16 times faster than wxPython ;-)

> One of the differences between wxPython and Tkinter is that the former
> uses native widgets, when possible. This means, for instance, that the
> wxWindows "Open File" dialog will be the familiar Windows dialog when
> the program runs under Windows.

Same goes for the Tkinter "Open File" dialog, of course.

Cheers /F

1) http://www.pythonware.com/products/tkinter/tkinter3000.htm