new ideas?

Joshua Marshall jmarshal at mathworks.com
Thu May 24 13:03:10 EDT 2001

Jan Veleta <jan.veleta at pvt.cz> wrote:
> I have found article about some programming language I never heard of.
> I is called Standard ML, and one of the things which attracted my attention
> was
> that it uses garbage collector while using machine generated code.

> It's syntax is obviously far from python, but maybe some of compiler gurus
> may take a look at it, as it can bring some new ideas into python world.

> Maybe it can help even in moving on compiled form of python.

SML's a great language, but these ideas aren't too new.  Compilers for
Common Lisp (eg.) have been doing this for a while.  My impression is
that compilers aren't available for Python primarily because nobody's
put the effort into it.

Also of note is that SML is a statically-typed language, making
compilation easier.  (Although this doesn't help things from a GC
point-of-view.)