socket.recvfrom() & sendto()

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed May 9 11:49:29 EDT 2001

In article <LRcK6.9510$sk3.2586223 at newsb.telia.net>, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>> >It is never "stalled" at a select(); asyncore uses non-blocking
>> >sockets.  select() returns immediately with lists of those sockets
>> >which are ready to write and those sockets which are ready to read.
>>
>> So it's in a busy-wait loop burning CPU time when there's
>> nothing to do?  That's just plain evil...
>
>what makes you think any operating system would implement
>select in that way?

It was claimed that the program was never "stalled" at a
select().

If the program is never blocking in the select() call because
the select timeout was set to 0, then it is in a busy-wait loop
calling select() (which returns 0 immediately) as fast as it
can.  Or did I misunderstand?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Well, I'm INVISIBLE
                                  at               AGAIN... I might as well