Surprising (for me) benchmark results...

E. Mark Ping emarkp at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Tue May 1 18:28:17 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.988753443.30791.python-list at python.org>,
William Park  <parkw at better.net> wrote:
>Did the time for Java/C++/Perl include only for sorting as for Python
>case, or for the entire process run (ie. time sh -c

I'm confused.  The Python code I posted checked the time before
opening the files and after closing them.  That pretty much guarantees
that the IO time is included, right?  (In the longer case, I used my
watch to make sure the numbers agreed.)

All the code snippets had timing code inside which reported the total
time from start to finish (though I would assume that the overhead in
Mark Ping
emarkp at soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU