Solaris Weirdness with 2.1

Ben Wolfson wolfson at uchicago.edu
Tue May 15 23:29:23 EDT 2001

In article <200105151505.LAA18242 at smtp3.andrew.cmu.edu>, "Michael P
Collins" <mc7f+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I've been trying to install Python 2.1 on a Solaris box and have run
> into the following error messages during the make, any thoughts?

I've also got what may be a Solaris-related problem (at least, it's
happened on Solaris), so I'll piggyback.  I can compile Python just fine,
but the following happens when I try to import the socket module:

harper:~> tmp/python/bin/python
Python 2.1 (#1, May 14 2001, 21:05:03)
[GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on sunos5
>>> import socket
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/tmp/scratch/python/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    from _socket import *
ImportError: ld.so.1: tmp/python/bin/python: fatal: libssl.so.0: open
failed: No such file or directory

There is a libssl.so.0 -- what do I have to do to enable Python to pick
it up?

--
Barnabas T. Rumjuggler
"Et tu, Brute?" sedulous.