Unix [was: do...until wisdom needed...]

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz
Wed May 9 21:28:59 EDT 2001

"Douglas Alan" <nessus at mit.edu> wrote in message
news:lcsniekr5x.fsf at gaffa.mit.edu...

> A free and popular Unix would have only had to be compatible with
> itself.  DOS, which was the competition at the time, not Windoze 3.1,
> was certainly no more compatible with human beings than Unix was.

Well, DOS did have a "help" command.

(Sorry for perpetuating another OS-war thread. I couldn't help myself.)

Then there's "edit" vs "vi". I'm referring to the respective names of these
commands AND what they look like when you run them.

(Damn, I did it again!)

---
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield
National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research

--
Posted from clam.niwa.cri.nz [202.36.29.1]