Python-Dev?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu May 24 05:31:36 EDT 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 04:21:25AM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> > [Stephen Hansen]
> > > ... I'm wondering: is the python-dev mailing list open?
>
> > Anyone can post to it, and anyone can read it, but it can only be read by
> > non-members via the clunky web interface:
> >
> >     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/
>
> Note that it would be a piece of cake to make a little Python script to grab
> the raw mbox files from the archive URL above and figure out the new
> messages. All you need are the urllib, mailbox and smtplib (or whatever you
> want to do with the new messages) and a few original lines to combine them
> in the right way :)

And I'm sure the admins of mail.python.org have no problems with lots of
people downloading 40Mb+ mboxes every other day...

(plus running the raw archive through mailbox would probably take about a
day, too - when I rewrote my python-dev summary distribution chart thingie
to use some brutal string hacking rather than mailbox it sped up by an
astonishing amount).

Cheers,
M.