Tabs and spaces (style)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue May 1 17:51:42 EDT 2001

Brett g Porter wrote:
> > Why would anyone use a different tab size than 8?
>
> ...because research has shown that programmers are more effective when an
> indent width between 2 and 4 characters is used?

iirc, that research is quoted in "Code Complete".

but it's not relevant here, really -- any editor worth using
can distinguish between indentation (code layout) and tab
size (file storage).

(and I'm pretty sure research would show that programmers
are more effective when they don't have to remember to re-
configure the tab size all the time.  the default tab size tends
to be 8 spaces, in Python as well as in many other tools)

Cheers /F