string repr in 2.1

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue May 29 04:24:14 EDT 2001

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 12:47:39AM +0100, Robin Becker wrote:
> In article <slrn9h5m4o.1hk.scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl>, Remco Gerlich
> <scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl> writes

> >Since 2.1, string repr uses heximal escapes instead of octal ones.

> yes I guess all those *nix tools that like octal should be whipped and
> made to obey the malevolent dictator.

Do you have tools you use to parse quoted (repr'd) Python strings that
handle octal correctly, but don't handle \x and \n\r escape codes ? Which
ones ? And were you aware that they were going to break sooner or later,
just because someone can prefer 'readable' escape codes and feed it that
instead ? :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>