Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Thu May 10 17:28:37 EDT 2001

"Kris J. Zaragoza" wrote:
> >And of course there's the whole field of "AI", whatever's included there
> >this year. Much of the linguistics going on there is done as science
> >rather than math.
>
> Actually, sometimes I wonder whether AI and it's related fields
> qualify CS as some sort of black magic. ;-)

Naw. The problem is that AI is anything that we don't know how to do
already. Once you solve a problem in AI, it's no longer AI. Alpha-beta
pruning used to be AI. Hill-climbing used to be AI. Now they're both
"algorithms". Kind of makes it hard for AI to "progress" when every
success gets whisked away. ;-)

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
       San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.