Configuring Python-2.1 for OpenSSL

Sandipan Gangopadhyay sandipan at vsnl.com
Sun May 20 14:49:01 EDT 2001

I looked through FAQ and Google and got stuck beyond this point. I hope this
is the proper forum for this question.

1. This is the location of openssl on a Linux RH 6.2 system: [
/usr/OpenSSL-0.9.4/openssl-0.9.4/  ] How do I configure python-2.1 install
for this ? In modules/setup below ?

# Socket module compiled with SSL support; you must comment out the other
# socket line above, and possibly edit the SSL variable:
#SSL=/usr/local/ssl
#_socket socketmodule.c \
# -DUSE_SSL -I$(SSL)/include -I$(SSL)/include/openssl \
# -L$(SSL)/lib -lssl -lcrypto
# The crypt module is now disabled by default because it breaks builds
# on many systems (where -lcrypt is needed), e.g. Linux (I believe).
#
# First, look at Setup.config; configure may have set this for you.

Any advice is welcome.

2. How do I install python-2.1 to let it peacefully co-exist with
python-1.5.2 ?

Thanks,

Sandipan