ConfigParser module in 1.52 is buggy?

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Tue May 29 16:49:02 EDT 2001

Thomas Wouters asked:
Why do people stick to 1.5.2, avoiding 2 years of
>development ? Is it because of flawed features like unicode ? Because of
the
>lack of obvious performance increases, and in some areas even performance
>reductions ? Is it because of the licence issue ?

The requirement of recompiling all the extensions.  The scheduling
needed to install the new code on everyone's machines.  The fact
that Python 1.5.2 works well enough.  The lack of a single, clear
reason to upgrade.

So one of my clients has waited until the single, clear reason
to upgrade is that some of its dependent modules (like Numeric)
are no longer being maintained for 1.5.2.

For another project, we're staying with 1.5.2 because most Linux
machines have that version installed but not yet 2.x.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org