2.1 command question

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Tue May 1 12:58:42 EDT 2001

On Tue, 01 May 2001 10:40:27 -0400, Timothy Reaves wrote:
>  I have downloaded the 2.1 RPM from the python site and have it
>installed. Why is the executable called python2 instead of python? Won't
>this break all installed python scripts?

For all the following information and more, you can just look up a previous
post of Sean Reifschneider, the creator of the RPMs.

If you go to the ftp directory the download at python.org sends you to, you
will find a python-* file for every python2-* file. The only difference is that
the python-* file installs a python instead of a python2 executable. This will
conflict with an existing Python installation, of course, so you'll have to
uninstall any Python 1.5.2 or whatever your distribution brought along.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de
web:    http://highqualdev.com