Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Sat May 12 13:39:36 EDT 2001

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Grant Edwards wrote:
> > Why do people think Python is so Lisp-like?
>
> I think the the correct question is "why do Lisp people
> think Python is so Lisp-like"

I agree that Python has no significant lisp heritage: although,
like everyone in the world today, Guido mostly uses C and Python ;-),
he's clearly from a N.Wirth procedural lineage: Pascal, Modula-*, ABC ...
( Nobody from a Lisp background would have so pedantically insisted
  that  list.sort()  NOT return a sorted list! )

And I can probably count more differences than simularities between
Python and Lisp...

But STILL, there's some way in which programming in Python and
programming in Lisp "feel" similar. I'm not sure if there's any
more to it than the dynamic and interactive nature and style.

-- Steve Majewski