Python serial port programming

Teemu Keskinarkaus teemu.keskinarkaus at plenware.fi
Fri May 18 00:47:15 EDT 2001

Hi.

I'm planning to use python to make controsoftware for own project. I use
RS-232 port to control that project. I tried to look info from web how to
use serial ports from python but couldn't find info what I was looking for.
I need to set bps-rate, data bits number etc. And I'm transfering binarydata
so text-only tranfering is no good. I found somewhere info that there is
library(package?) for python for serial port controlling? What is that
library's name and where can I get it? Hints and tips about serial port
controlling with python are welcome. :)

Platform is Redhat Linux 6.2 on Intel Pentium 133. Python is the version
that comes with RH6.2 although I'm planning to update it to Python 2.1.

Thanks.

TK