Marshal Problems

Aaron Wilson david_pasiely at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 10:41:12 EDT 2001

We've having a problem with some of our marshaled data. We're marshalling
(largish) dictionary consisting of int id and list value, Occasionally (and
unrepeatablely !) after marshalling the data we cannot unmarshal it.

Comparing files (one from backup) the problem seems to be that one byte of a
string was omitted (and this consequently breaks the unmarshal)
interestingly
a junk byte is added to the end of the file.

Unfortunately the data is confidential and so we cannot post the files !

Any thoughts/comments on what could be causing this and how to fix it ?

We are using python 1.5.1 on SUNOS 5. (Yes I know this is an old version but
we have no choice in this matter. )

Have looked through the CVS logs of marshal.c for any sign of something
obvious being fixed but to no avail