Choosing a programming language as a competitive tool

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat May 5 19:39:38 EDT 2001

[Roy Smith]
> Lisp is a different way of doing things entirely.

[Douglas Alan]
> Not true.  Python is practically a dialect of Lisp, but with a
> different syntax.

This comes as a great surprise to Guido whenever it's claimed, because he's
never been a Lisp programmer and seems to actively dislike what he's seen of
Lisp programming styles.  I don't deny the similarities, but I wouldn't be
surprised if the time machine worked its magic so that one of these days we
wake up in a world where Lisp is claimed to be a clumsy dialect of Python
<wink>.