Python-Dev?

"Jürgen A. Erhard" juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Fri May 25 11:22:22 EDT 2001

    Michael> On Wed, 23 May 2001, Thomas Wouters wrote:

    >> Note that it would be a piece of cake to make a little Python
    >> script to grab the raw mbox files from the archive URL above
    >> and figure out the new messages. All you need are the urllib,
    >> mailbox and smtplib (or whatever you want to do with the new
    >> messages) and a few original lines to combine them in the right
    >> way :)

    Michael> And I'm sure the admins of mail.python.org have no
    Michael> problems with lots of people downloading 40Mb+ mboxes
    Michael> every other day...

I have just such a script as Thomas described.  Really was a piece of
cake (and yummy, too ;-)

But of course I don't fetch the *full* mbox, I only get the monthly
summaries, and of those only the ones that have changed.

That's about 250K for May, currently (just fetched).

    Michael> (plus running the raw archive through mailbox would
    Michael> probably take about a day, too - when I rewrote my
    Michael> python-dev summary distribution chart thingie to use some
    Michael> brutal string hacking rather than mailbox it sped up by
    Michael> an astonishing amount).

Running that through mailbox, well... takes only a couple seconds, of
course ;-)

Bye, J

PS: I use httplib, not urllib... did use urllib at first, but then I
want to do partial fetches (wanted tolearn those) and hacking urllib
for it... well, it worked, but was slightly ugly.  So I switched to
httplib.  Didn't move to 2.0's httplib yet... so it's still uglier
than it should be.

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard at gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard