Python 2.0 quick reference...

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Sun May 20 16:01:57 EDT 2001

Steve Williams <stevewilliams at wwc.com> wrote:

> Aahz Maruch wrote:
>
>> In article <2otcgt8u7km5ciff9b4jbj49kgmnvsl147 at 4ax.com>,
>> David Fuess  <fuess1 at home.com> wrote:

>> [snip]
>
>> The problem is that your rant leaves out interoperability issues.  For
>> example, consider how a user of MS Word feels on receiving a document in
>> LaTeX format.  That's the way a lot of webmasters feel about Lynx.
>> --
>
> [snip, some more]
>
> Oh, man.  I swore I wouldn't post to this newsgroup 'cause it messed up the
> signal/noise ratio, but. . .
>
> I run a newspaper.  On Macs.  When my stringers send their 100 word screeds in 1
> 0k
> WORD documents. . .
>
> What's wrong with text?  So what if I don't read your magnum opus in the origina
> 72-point Railroad Boldoni?
>
> Interoperatability:  Everything supports COM.  Right?  Sheesh.

It's more than interoperability.  Certain software screens out or
discourages particular kinds of content.  Netscape and MS IE
discourage content without images (it's Boring).  Lynx discourages
content with images.  So, if you do not read fluently and if you
need images that twirl and twist and flash in order to overcome
your short attention span, you want to discourage Lynx from
becoming a prevalant browser, right?

Marshall Macluan (sp?) would have had something to say about how
content viewed in MS IE and Netscape Navigator has a different kind
of message from content viewed in Lynx.

Lynx delivers intelligent content.  MS IE and Netscape Navigator is
for high school students.

Getting back to Python, Python, with its plain, clear text layout
and its "make it explicit" coding style, appeals to a Lynx user
like me.

  - Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman