precompiled scripts?

Ben h0444nid at rz.hu-berlin.de
Mon May 14 08:34:09 EDT 2001

>Tcl/Tk doesn't offer a true byte code on disk capability like perl and
>python do. There are several "wrap" programs which bundle up the
>.tcl scripts along with a tcl interpreter, but the scripts can be got at
>pretty easily. Tcl-Pro added script obfustication to the scripts to make
>it harder, but it's not that hard to clarify the scripts again.
>
>Perl does have what is described as a true compiler, but it's been at
>"experimental" status since the camel lost a hump. (I only look over
> Perl's fence from time to time, so things might have changed.)
>
>Python's "freezers" do the same thing that Tcl/Tk does: wraps an execute
>shell around a python interpreter and the byte codes of the .py files.
>
>When all is said and done, there is no such thing as total security,
>either in life or in computer programming: with enough motivation, people
>turn machine code back into assembly language and ultimately back to
>C/C++. (I have a friend who does that for a living.) With that in mind,
>Python's "freezers" are probably adequate security if you're selling to a
>relatively unsophisticated market and/or there's nothing especially
>proprietary about what you offer.

first of all i'd like to thank all of you. the answers where more than
enough.

the reason why i want to use a binary version of the script is not for
hiding my work from other's eyes but for protecting the code from being
changed. i need to use it on a public accessible pc running linux with a
self adapted gui (netscape in full-screen ;-))) with some apps especially
for kids. and i know, that they are doing EVERYTHING on the pc if they
can!! so i need to protect as much code as possible.

thank you.

ben