CP4E and Python newbies, it works!

Rainy sill at optonline.net
Thu May 31 19:52:29 EDT 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001 23:12:09 GMT, Ron Stephens <rdsteph at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am a complete newbie, and with a very low programming IQ. Although I
> had programmed a little in college thirty years ago, in Basic, PL/1 and
> a very little assembler, and fooled around in later years on PC's at
> home with Basic, then tried PERL, then an effort at Java, they were all
> too much trouble to really use to program, given that it was a *hobby*
> that was supposed to be fun. After all, I have a demanding day job that
> has nothing to do with software, that requires extensive travel, and
> four kids, a wife, two dogs, and a cat. Java et al, by the time I had
> digested a couple of books and put in a lot of hours, was just no fun at
> all to program; and I had to look in the book every other line of code
> just to recall the syntax etc.; I could not keep it in my head.
>
> Now, four months into Python, after being attracted by reading a blurb
> about Guido van Rossum's Computer Programming for Everybody project, I
> am in awe of his achievement. I am having fun; and if I can do so then
> almost anyone can. I am really absent minded, lazy,  and not good at
> detail. Yet I have done the following in four months, and I believe
> Python therefore has  the potential to open up programming to a much
> wider audience for a lot of people, which is nice:

That's great to hear! I had pretty much the same experience with java/c/c++/
perl - I did write a few useful things but eventually gave up because it wasn't
a full time job. Python is actually easy enough to use time from
time (and not forgetting the syntax).

Have fun with python and good luck :-).

--
Lime and limpid green