Python and Autoconf

A Meowbot meowbot at meowing.net
Tue May 29 00:21:55 EDT 2001

Martin von Loewis <loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> I think you are linking way to much stuff in here. In an embedded
> Python, you typically don't need all modules supported in the Python
> installation, e.g. you'd rarely need _tkinter, or crypt, etc.

In this application, an amazing variety of stuff gets used.
Databases, cryptstuff, various forms of logging and stat gathering,
user-supplied C modules, etc.  These interpreters provide open-ended
authentication and message filtering hooks, and previous incarnations
that tried to predefine available modules left much to be desired.

This mess typically gets a server or farm of servers to itself, so
there is no pressing need to be stingy.