inclusive-lower-bound, exclusive-upper-bound (was Re: Range Operation pre-PEP)

Stephen Hansen news at myNOSPAM.org
Sat May 12 01:10:28 EDT 2001

"Andrew Maizels" <andrew at one.net.au> wrote in message
news:3AFCA28D.BA438484 at one.net.au...
>     open database accounts for read.
>     import send_polite_email, send_polite_letter from send_letter.
>
>     var c, i are buffer.
>     var over60 is decimal.
>
>     for c in customer
>     where c.balance <= 50:
>         -- can safely ignore customers with balance <= $50
>
>         over60 := 0.
>
>         for i in item
>         where i.custnum = c.custnum and
>               i.duedate < today - 60 and
>               i.open <> 0:
>             over60 += i.open.
>         end.
>
>         if over60 > 50 then do:
>             if c.email <> ""
>             then send_polite_email(c.email,c.name,c.balance,over60).
>             else send_polite_letter(c.address,c.name,c.balance,over60).
>         end.
>     end.
>

> Pixy's syntax is still in flux, but that will give you the idea.

    I realize you said that you do not like semi-colons, but it seems to me
that your use of a period as a statement seperator has its own problems.
Consider the following:

        print 1.

    In Python, that is printing a floating point number. In Pixy, that is
printing an integer. Now, It'd be all fine and dandy to just make it a
language requirement that all floating points *have* a number after the
decimal point, but it eats at the clairity and starts looking uncool:

        print 1.0.

    Just an example. :)

--Stephen
(replace 'NOSPAM' with 'seraph' to respond in email)