urllib & cookies

carlos eberhardt carlos.eberhardt at techrepublic.com
Thu May 17 12:00:03 EDT 2001

I think you need to use httplib instead. One of the first things (explains
any foolishness that might be pointed out - this was a sloppy bit to prove
to a colleague that the idea should work - at least, i think this code will
work) I did in Python was to retrieve a URL that required a cookie:

import httplib
host = 'www.yourhost.com'
page = '/url/to/retrieve.html'
cookietext = 'contents-of-cookie-here'
h = httplib.HTTP(host)
h.putrequest('GET', page)
h.putheader('host', host)
h.putheader('user-agent', 'python-httplib')
h.putheader('Accept', 'text/html')
h.putheader('Accept', 'text/plain')
h.putheader('Cookie', cookietext)
h.endheaders()