SysV IPC message queues implemented

John Fremlin chief at bandits.org
Sun May 13 18:07:49 EDT 2001

Please CC me.

I have a written a SysV IPC message queue C module, and a python
SysVQueue class (modelled on Queue.Queue) to provide a cleaner
interface to the SysV functionality.

Why is such a package not included in the standard Python
distribution? Is anybody interested in the code?

For the record, the following functions are made AFAIK fully
accessible from Python by the C module:

        ftok
        msgget
        msgsnd
        msgrcv

The msgctl syscall is broken up into three logical functions:

        msgctl_rm
        msgctl_stat
        msgctl_set

And the public fields of the msgqid_ds stucture are made accessible.

The SysVQueue class provides the functionality of the Queue class,
except that it is impossible to set a maximum size, objects added to
it have to be pickleable, and the "full" method is missing.

Only tested on Linux 2.4.
--
BTW, I'm looking for a summer job in Europe.

	http://ape.n3.net