Why aren't we all speaking LISP now?

bowman bowman at montana.com
Fri May 11 09:41:36 EDT 2001

"Tim Roberts" <timr at probo.com> wrote in message
news:tcumfto5unpji5u109b8bctegnji4po3ap at 4ax.com...

> knew the list was going to be limited in size.  I KNOW I can write a
> bubblesort or insertion sort and get it right.  I'd have to look up and
> debug a quicksort or a heapsort.

at least in C, my lookup of sorting ends with 'man qsort'. While ANSI does
not specify the sorting algorithm, it does specify the function will be
there with the advertised interface.

My point: common algorithms belong in the libraries or standard modules of a
language. I've spent too much time debugging code where someone got a sort,
bit shift and test, linked list, hash, or other routine _almost_ right.