Python is also a Lisp compiler name?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon May 14 19:27:29 EDT 2001

aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) writes:

> In article <m3bsowph32.fsf at atrus.jesus.cam.ac.uk>,
> Michael Hudson  <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> >Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> writes:
> >>
> >> It seems, there is a Lisp compiler, called Python ;-)
> >
> >$ lisp
> >CMU Common Lisp 18c, running on atrus.jesus.cam.ac.uk
> >Loaded subsystems:
> >    Python 1.0, target Intel x86
> >    CLOS based on PCL version:  September 16 92 PCL (f)
> >    CLX X Library MIT R5.02
> >    Hemlock 3.5
> >
> >This confused me the first time I fired up cmucl :-)  They probably had
> >the name first, too.
>
> What makes you think so?  Our Python was started in 1990, and the
> statement above gives a subsystem date of 9/16/1992.

The fact that CMUCL is as far as I know a very old project.  Eg.

    http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/cons.org/credits.html

which says:

    CMUCL has been under continual development since the early 1980's

I don't know when they chose the name Python for their compiler, but
it seems likely it was well before it stopped being funded at CMU in
'94.

It's not surprising that they use a CLOS based on a '92 version; CLOS
itself isn't very much older than that.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Indeed, when I design my killer language, the identifiers "foo" and
  "bar" will be reserved words, never used, and not even mentioned in