Python -> C++ compilation

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun May 27 15:24:00 EDT 2001

> I've not thought there are 3 possible solutions to this.
> However:
[...]
> Let me explain. Python programming is too easy to consider C++
> for doing most work. However, if one is _forced_ to use C++
> because the project is being developed with it, there are 5 options:

Neither of these approaches would help in this case. All the compilers
*only* transform the byte code, and still require the implementations
of all the primitive types, and builtin modules
(ie. libpython.a). I.e. if you had a Python -> C++ compiler, you'd
still need a runtime system for it.

That, in effect, makes this approach equivalent to

> 3. Embed Python (not easy even though Python is Free!) and have fun

I don't know what makes embedding "not easy". Is it the license? If
so, most likely the run-time system for a hypothetical
Python C++ compiler would make it not easy to use, either.

If this is primarily a technology problem (making freeze to work,
etc), well, I doubt the hypothetical compiler would be easier to use.

Regards,
Martin