Class Variable Question

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Wed May 2 20:24:28 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:

> "Bob Kline" <bkline at rksystems.com> wrote in message

> > the alternating refrain from Python fans is "Why on earth would
> > you want to use a language which doesn't eliminate memory
> > management bugs for you?"

> From _Python_ fans?  Never heard that

Strange -- I hear it from Python fans all the time.  They just tend to
think that RC almost always does a *good enough* job of eliminating
memory management bugs, especially when combined with a *tiny* bit of
effort to break cycles in destructors.  (Even "real" GC doesn't
eliminate *all* memory management bugs.)  Now that Python has "real"
GC, Python will be appropriate for even a wider range of applications.
And some naysayers will be mollified.