*Real* Python on a PDA

Edward Muller edwardam at home.com
Mon May 28 19:36:08 EDT 2001

David LeBlanc <whisper at oz.nospamnet> wrote in message news:<9ek2sj$1es$1 at 216.39.170.247>...
> In article <3dy9rp2ij6.fsf at mems-exchange.org>, akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
> says...
> > "Jeff Kunce" <kuncej at mail.conservation.state.mo.us> writes:
> > > rough as a PDA, but it's a great toy for Linux fans. Python
> > > 1.5.2 and 2.1 have both been ported - and I'm talking
> > > about full python here - not like the deploy-only version
> > > for the Palm. pyFLTK is even available for GUI work.
> >
> > How much free memory does a running Python process have on the
> > machine?  Enough to build a sizable UI or crunch a moderately large
> > amount of data?  And has anyone built any apps in Python for it?
> > (I've been speculating about getting an Agenda for a while; bonus
> > points if the Agenda could prove useful at work...)
> >
> > --amk
> >

> There is a linux/python implementation for the Compaq iPaq which seems
> quite nice. I think after linux and X are loaded, there is about 16mb of
> ram left on the 32mb model - and that would be 48mb on the new 64mb model
> - if you can get one. If you're really greedy for storage space, the ibm
> micro drive fits into the pc sleeve (better choice the the CF sleeve
> since trying to get the micro-drive out of the CF sleeve can damage the
> drive) and then you have up to 1gb of whatever in your pocket.
>
> I think that the iPaq is far and away the very best pda out there right
> now - even in spite of Win/CE. Best screen - you really can read it in
> broad daylight and it's even TOO bright in most indoor situations so you
> have to turn down the backlight. Fastest processor by as much as a factor
> of 8x (ok, comaring it to a Palm is a bit harsh :) - comparing Apples and
> Apples it's from 25% to 120% faster then other win/ce pdas). Intersting
> too that Compaq essentially sponsored the linux port too - or at least
> didn't prevent their research group from doing it and making it
> publically available.
>
> http://www.handhelds.org for info on linux, python and bsd on handhelds.
>
> Dave LeBlanc

I just wanted to mention what I've seen as the memory requirements for a 'standard'
python/pygtk/libglade program on the ipaq. They tend to run from 3 MB to 6 MB
depending on what your doing with it.

I'd also like to note that the Familiar linux distribution for the compaq ipaq
has chosen (was there ever any doubt?) python as it's standard scripting language.
The current version ships with my older Python 2.0 builds, but later versions
(of Familiar) will ship with resonably new versions of Python / PyGTK & Libglade.
There is already a PIM (called mingle) being written in python, a system
settings utility (sysset, that's one of mine) and an MP3 frontend to madplay
called 'scream' (formerly called pypaq.mp3 and pypaq ... it's not quit released
yet ... soon ... I'm working on it).

eam
edwardam at handhelds.org