setup.py help...

Laurent Pointal laurent.pointal at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 10 16:05:00 EDT 2001

Hello,

I'm trying (learning how) to use setup.py for one of my pure Python modules.
The module itself is very simple: one file "bad.py"
Near this file, I have several informations, test & Co other files.
I build a MANIFEST file with:
    	README.txt
    	LISEZMOI.txt
    	HELP.txt
    	HISTORY.txt
    	GPL.txt
    	bad.py
    	bad_test.py
    	setup.py

All these files are in a bad-dist directory, which is in the PYTHON_PATH.

I build a small setup.py script from documentation, which works...
    	#!/usr/bin/env python
    	from distutils.core import setup

    	setup(name              ="bad",
    	      version           ="1.0",
    	      description       ="Management of bad (invalid) values.",
    	      author            ="Laurent Pointal",
    	      author_email      ="laurent.pointal at laposte.net",
    	      py_modules        =['bad']
    	     )

>From that I have built source dist in .zip and .tar.gz, and Windows binary
installer (it installs the program in the control panel programs management
too, nice to remove the package).

But I'm not completly ready with all that:
- I would prefer to be able to put bad.py in a directory containing my
modules and being in the PYTHON_PATH, having not to put the directory which
contains setup.py in the PYTHON_PATH.
- Reverse, when installing, I would like to see all files other than bad.py
installed into a directory bad-1.0, but the bad.py in one of the user
PYTHON_PATH directory.

Any experienced user reading ?

thanks.