Python and Computer Algebra Systems --- is it done?

jm7potter at hotmail.com jm7potter at hotmail.com
Sun May 20 20:04:57 EDT 2001

On Sun, 20 May 2001 15:16:43 +0200, Pearu Peterson <pearu at cens.ioc.ee>
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 May 2001 jm7potter at hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> The question is really --- has anyone yet used Python to do any
>> symbolic math?
>
>YES!!!
>
>Check out
>	http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/pyginac/
>
>PyGiNaC uses C++ library GiNaC (www.ginac.de) for the kernel and
>Boost.Python for exposing it to Python.
>
>If you get the latest PyGiNaC from its CVS, then you'll need also the
>latest CVS version of GiNaC-0.8.(3 and half).
>
>Regards,
>	Pearu

Thanks, but I need a little further advice.

I am using Python under Window 98 on this machine.

I followed the long trail of needed software and downloaded something
called CyqWin. This resides at c:\cyqwin on this machine. It put a
desktop link that runs a bash shell and the gcc compiler seems to be
known. The only problem is I now have two versions of Python 2.1 ---
one at C:\cyqwin\python and one at C:\Python21 --- but this is no big
deal.

I also have something called cln at c:\cyqwin\cln\cln-1.1.tar.gz
and ginac at c:\cyqwin\ginac\ginac-0.8.3.tar.bz2.tar (yes! two tars in
that one)

I also have an animal named pyginac at
C:\pyginac\pyginac-0.465.tar.gz.

So, how do I unpack tar/bz2/gz ? Suppose cyqwin has the software there
somewhere?

After it is unpacked --- what in the world do I do with it to get
pyginac to work with my Python21 IDLE interface??

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Joe