Small, Local Web/CGI Server Advice

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed May 30 12:38:38 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:

> I'm sure you can get CGIHTTPServer to work.  But it might
> not be quite as lightweight as Xitami+LRWP... give it a try!

If we are already talking about long-running apps the easiest thing
is to derive from SimpleHTTPServer.SimpleHTTPRequestHandler.

Sloth, if you have the chance to design your web apps from the
ground up do not make the mistake to use print or other stupid
things to write the HTML output hard-wired to stdout. This is a
mistake most people (including me) are doing in the beginning.

Once the web application uses file objects for in, out, err and an
arbitrary dictionary as environment you can write small wrappers
with a few lines for nearly everything (stand-alone, FastCGI,
mod_python etc., LRWP).

Ciao, Michael.