Python 2.1 core dumps on SGI

Greg Couch gregc at cgl.ucsf.edu
Fri May 18 20:13:22 EDT 2001

Has anyone else seen this?  We're running SGI IRIX 6.5.10 and 6.5.12
and we compiled Python 2.1 with the 7.3.1.2m compilers (configure
--without-gcc --with-cxx=CC) the following Python program core dumps
with a bus error:

	print -1 * 0.5

The print is unnecessary.

When I compile floatobject.c without optimization, then the Python
program works.

The bug has to with with PyFloat_Check returning true for an PyInt
object at the begining of float_mul in floatobject.c.  Why, I have
no idea.  So far, I've been unsuccessful in reproducing the bug in
a small test case.

	Any help appreciated,

	Greg Couch
	UCSF Computer Graphics Lab