PyEdit in Programming Python 2nd ed

Laura Lewin Laura_01 at MailAndNews.com
Fri May 4 11:15:30 EDT 2001

Hi,
All the things I've said so far are valid, but here's the final story, which
will also show up on the author's book updates page...

There seems to be a bug in ActivePython 2.1's implementation of Tkinter that
makes a few of the book examples fail on Windows.  At the least, any example
that uses the guimaker.py tool will not work as is under ActivePython 2.1.
This includes PyEdit, PyView, PyMail (its mail composition windows), and
probably big_gui and shellgui.  However, all of these examples still work
under the standard Python 2.1 release for Windows that is available from
www.python.org.

The reason is that ActivePython 2.1's Tkinter for Windows does not recognize
the cursor='hand2' and cursor='gumby' configuration options used by the
guimaker.py module for toolbars and help buttons.  Note that these are
standard
Tk cursor settings, and should work in all Tkinters.  ActivePython's Tkinter
not only does not implement these options, it raises an exception for them,
which makes programs that use these (and likely other) cursors fail.  This
is
a bug in ActivePython 2.1, and should be reported to ActiveState.

The settings do work as advertised in the standard Python 2.1 release.  But
if
you have installed ActivePython 2.1 and need a workaround for the problem,
you
have two options:

1) Either you can instead download and install the standard Python 2.1
release
from python.org (and install the win32all package separately if you want the
extra Windows tool set that comes with AP).

2) Or, you can simply edit the guimaker.py script on your machine: find and
delete the two "cursor=" configuration options in this script. The examples
work again after these edits, but you don't get the nice mouse cursors.

Again, this is a bug in ActivePython 2.1, not in the examples or the
standard
Python install.

Hope this helps!

Laura