Against PEP 240

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Thu May 31 02:02:43 EDT 2001

[Paul Prescod]
> We're talking about Python. I don't think it will accurately represent
> irrational numbers in my lifetime!

Jurjen N.E. Bos contributed a Python implementation of the constructive
reals several years ago.  In effect, that allows working with any computable
real number (from 42 to e.g. tan(exp(log(pi)+sqrt(e))) in such a way that no
finite amount of computation can distiguish it from its infinitely-precise
value.

But the general truth is that no finite representation of reals is without
surprises, and under the computable reals, e.g., equality is undecidable!