Alternatives to PIL for jpeg support in tkinter?

Lloyd Zusman ljz at asfast.com
Fri May 18 22:01:58 EDT 2001

I know that PIL is an excellent package which, among many other nice
and very useful things, enables jpeg support in conjuction with
tkinter.

I'm wondering what other options there are for adding jpeg support to
tkinter, besides PIL?  When using PIL, there have to be minor syntax
changes made to standard tkinter programs in order to take advantage
of PIL's added capabilities (such as being able to manage jpeg
images).

However, I vaguely remember installing a package on my machine and
then making a small, one-time change to one of the *.py files in the
python library directory, and this caused all standard tkinter
programs to work properly with jpeg images without any syntax changes
to standard tkinter programs.  However, I can't remember which package
I had installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--