loop though textfiles

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon May 14 10:59:57 EDT 2001

In article <i9SL6.10396$sk3.2792361 at newsb.telia.net>,
	"Martin Johansson" <045521104 at telia.com> writes:

> How can I do if I want to do a searchmethon on several textfiles?

There are several possibilities.

> Can I use fileinput and how should I do?

Yes. Check my small snipplet and the fileinput documentation.

-----------
#! /bin/env python
"""" Per line processing example. """"

import sys
import string
import fileinput

filenames=["file1","file2","file3"]

def process(line):
        """ Process one inputline and spit out, what we want. """
        # get rid of the possible newline and the whitespace around chars
        line=string.strip(line)
        sys.stdout.write(line)

for lines in fileinput.input(filenames):
        process(line)

> It must be some kind of loop.
Yes. :)

> this is the lines I want to do on every textfile.

The examples above should help you to get the right idea.
	Bernhard