ANN: wxDesigner commercial RAD tool

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 31 10:29:27 EDT 2001

In article <23891c90.0105300305.7498a57c at posting.google.com>,
	paul at boddie.net (Paul Boddie) writes:
> bernhard at intevation.de (Bernhard Reiter) wrote in message news:<9f1c5r$1ln7g$2 at ID-89274.news.dfncis.de>...
>> In article <LWSQ6.26352$lY3.6178309 at typhoon.midsouth.rr.com>,
>> 	"Bill Wilkinson" <bwilk_97 at yahoo.com> writes:
>> > wxDesigner is cool.  Well worth the small amount it costs.
>>
>> I don't mind paying for it, when it is good _and_ Free Software.

> Here starts a long discussion on what should or should not be
> commercial, proprietary, gratis or open.

It is not my intention to start a discussion what should be Free
Software and what not. I just noted that there is commercial Free
Software thus the line in the wxDesigner ad does not give the full
story. It is commercial and proprietory.
Other products can be commercial (done professionally for the money)
and Free Software.

> As far as I am concerned,
> it's up to the market to decide whether or not wxDesigner, mxODBC or
> whatever is worth paying for, licensing and so on. After all, there's
> always Boa, and various open-source database access libraries to
> contribute to.

True.
As a potentional customer I can say that I do not pay for or use
wxDesigner, because it is not Free Software. I hope that more
potential customers tell them what they need. :)

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)