Where O Where Did My Data Buffer Go?

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Thu May 3 00:51:24 EDT 2001

I have been corresponding with Ben on this and I think everyone else
would find a clarification of the problem useful.

As I understand it, when the end user visits KBB via the framed page,
KBB gets a "callback" URL as part of the request.  At some point in the
future KBB's web server will call Ben's server via that URL and send
some arbitrary data.  This does not appear to be directly related to the
end user's experience.

Ben is trying to catch the data being sent and do something with it
(presently, email it to himself).

BTW the concept of "data buffer" is irrelevant to web servers outside
the Windoze world.  The server in question is running Linux/Apache,
so of course the data being sent via POST is in the sys.stdin stream.

Also note for the record that calling cgi.FieldStorage() will *consume*
the sys.stdin stream, so that subsequent sys.stdin.read() calls get
nothing (i.e. EOF).