Expat confusion

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu May 31 13:32:41 EDT 2001

claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:

> Suppose I'm working on a Unix host, from 2.0 or later
> sources.  I recognize I need to have expat installed
> (what does that mean?  Is it something other than having
>   /usr/local/lib/libexpat.a
>   /usr/local/bin/xmlwf
>   /usr/local/bin/gennmtab
> ?).

Yes, you need also /usr/local/include/xmlparse.h or
/usr/local/include/expat.h (depending on the exact expat version that
you use).

Depending on the exact Unix version and compiler that you have, it
might be that you

a) need a libexpat.a that was compiled with -fPIC/-KPIC,
b) need a libexpat.so,
c) need to add -mimpure-text to your gcc options, or
d) need to statically configure pyexpat into Python, by
   putting it into Modules/Setup.

This problem occurs if your linker does not like relocations in a
shared library, which frequently happens when linking static libraries
into dynamic ones.

Regards,
Martin