Which GUI Lib?

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon May 14 16:52:17 EDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Alex Martelli wrote:
> "Boudewijn Rempt" <boudewijn at tryllian.com> wrote in message
> > > and Windows.  If you want a gui-designer for either Tk or Qt, I think
> you
> > > have to choose a commercial solution -- which may be a plus or a minus
> > > for you, of course, depending on your situation.
> >
> > Depends on your platform, Qt Designer and PyQt are as free as can
> > be on Linux - for Windows you'd need either to buy Qt or BlackAdder.
>
> Good point!  I should have repeated the original poster's specs
> ("solution must be cross-platform") to avoid this snippet being
> misread when read or quoted out of context:-).

How much of a barrier is there to PyQt for Windows users?
If I understand it correctly... PyQt is free, but Qt is not, so all
you need is the Qt libs to compile your own PyQt -- can these be from
any app you have that uses Qt, or do you need stuff you can only get
from a Qt source distribution (included in BlackAdder, ya?)?

I guess I'm really wondering if PyQt will have any life outside of the
commercial arena, and figuring it may if any Windows user with a Qt
based app on their box can get PyQt to work (or is that really naive).

- Bruce