pydoc req thread; readline req NO thread

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 11:39:40 EDT 2001

Michael Hudson:
 |Randall Hopper <aa8vb at yahoo.com> writes:
 |
 |> Is there a workaround for this problem?  I hope I don't have to make
 |> a choice between Python command-line editing and Python browsable
 |> documentation.
 |>
 |> Currently, I have to explicitly compile Python without thread support so
 |> Python won't lock up when Ctrl-C is pressed in a Python shell (IIRC
 |> readline isn't thread-safe).
 |
 |Are you on Irix?  There seem to be problems with threads & signals &
 |readline there.  (It's not really thread-safety that's the problem -
 |there's usually only one thread running in an interactive interpreter
 |after all).

Currently building on IRIX, but this is a problem on FreeBSD as well (last
time I checked).  There's history in the list indicating other OSs are
involved beyond these two: Linux, Solaris, etc. but I can't speak to that
first-hand:

   http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=26beac649020a4bc,4
   http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=ae21611a105dff48,18
   http://groups.google.com/groups?ic=1&th=ea209632b56fa5c0,1

 |> Is there a work-around for this?
 |
 |Can't think of one other than building two versions of python, one for
 |using pydoc with that enables threads, and one for interactive use
 |that doesn't.

Arg.  Was hoping for a different answer ;-)

Thanks,

Randall

--
Randall Hopper