Messaging in Py?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.nospamnet
Mon May 21 12:45:26 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.990385176.4955.python-list at python.org>,
dsh8290 at rit.edu says...
> On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 06:36:04PM +0000, Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> | How about SOAP?  Isn't SOAP emergining as a dominant protocol for
> | messaging, for making requests across HTTP, and for Web services?
>
> According the the xml-rpc site the xml-rpc guys used to work for MS.
> They left after sharing the xml-rpc idea.  Now they maintain xml-rpc,
> which is a simple way for using RPC (from the client's perspective,
> anyways).  SOAP is what the other MS guys ended up with after they
> bloated xml-rpc with excess features.
>
> I haven't used either system yet so everything above is hearsay (not
> my opinion and not my experience; yet <wink>), from the xml-rpc web
> site.
>
> -D

I'm pretty sure xml-rpc was a sun initiative, but i'm not sure - there's
a pretty good table at w3.org describing the MANY proposals for remote
procedure call reccomendations (w3-ese for standard).

www.userland.com should also have some info since it's owner, Dave
Weiner, was one of the developers of both xml-rpc and soap.

FWIW, I think the trend is towards SOAP and away from xml-rpc.

Python imps for both exist of course.

Dave LeBlanc