Check if variable is defined

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri May 18 02:52:02 EDT 2001

Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> writes:

> >> I once wondered if vars(), locals() or globals() have a time cost to
> >> produce the dictionary in a usable format
>
> I'm too lazy to go over to my Python source tree at the moment,
> but I believe that these already _are_ in Python dictionaries, right
> inside Python. IOW, they aren't "producing" anything, they are
> simply giving you a reference to an already-existing construct.

And you say this following up to a post of mine that says that they do
this at module level but not inside a function?  I wasn't making that
up - see eg. PyEval_GetLocals, which calls PyFrame_FastToLocals.

Cheers,
M.

--
  I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same
  manner that fish follow migrating caribou.           -- Paul Tomblin