Should I learn Python for this????

Greg Perkowski gperkowski at twmi.rr.com
Thu May 3 10:34:21 EDT 2001

Ultimate goal: Write executable programs for my HS Prism w/ Palm OS

Why ask here: I'd seen a reference to using Python to do this and from what
I've seen on the web pages and looking through this news server it looks
like there's a group of knowledgeable people here who could point me in the
right direction.

What I'm starting with: I'm actually a Civil Engr. by trade but I took an
interest in computer programming in college and took a number of extra
classes in the late '70's. I can program in basic, Fortran and dBASE and was
introduced to Pl I and assembly language. I've written extensive macros in
Lotus and Word Perfect prior to VB. My job for 3 years was to maintain a
large database using a custom front end on top of an Oracle data base.  This
required that I learn how to trip blindly through a Unix server to do some
special reports.

The custom front end for the data base was my first introduction to object
orientated programming.  To be honest, my first reaction was that it was
sort of sick and perverse and probably the work of some satanic cult.  But
then I like programming my own stuff and consider it a hobby so my social
worker wife is usually a minute away from putting me in a home.  So what can
I say.

What I'd like to find out is Python the way to go if I'm going to learn a
language which will allow me to compile my own programs and run them on a
Palm OS system?  I've seen C code also.  Is that the better way to go?  Or,
is there something else?

I know there are "toolbox" programs that allow you to make custom stuff for
the PDA's but they don't give the control I want.  I've also looked at the
HotPaw basic program but I'm not sure it leads to something you can compile.

Well, if you've read this far I appreciate it and would be interested in
advice on which way to go.

Thanks very much!!   Greg

greg at perkowski.net