where does 'index()' come from?

John Machin machin_john_888 at hotmail.com
Tue May 22 03:50:17 EDT 2001

D-Man <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in message news:<mailman.990498151.3908.python-list at python.org>...
> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 08:07:34PM -0600, erudite wrote:
> > <where can I find docs on index()?>
> > sys.argv[1].index('=')
>

> See the Library Reference in the Builtin Objects section.  Look at
> Sequence Objects.  Near the bottom of the page is a link to String
> Methods.

Or a general approach in case you can't parse the expression like
D-Man did:

Library Reference -> Index [no pun intended] -> i and scroll a bit
until you see 4 entries for index() and then try to nut out to which
of the four modules/objects you may need to refer ...

If you are using Windows, you could contemplate getting (as I am about
to) the docs in MS HTML Help format from Hernan Foffani's website.

      http://www.orgmf.com.ar/condor/pytstuff.html

The proffered advantage of this package is being able to do *searches*
of all the doco --- now, where is the doco on a .pth file? [rhetorical
question, it's documented under the "site" module; just an example of
something that's hard to find without a full-text search].

Hmmm .. download complete; first glance, looks extremely good; can
this be made available as standard issue for Windows users? Are there
licensing issues?