What can you do in LISP that you can't do in Python

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Thu May 17 00:07:45 EDT 2001

Neil Schemenauer wrote:

> No, eval evaluates expressions.  You want a closure.  Nested
> scopes makes this work nicely.

The example should have used "exec", but there
are problems with that in the new nested-scope
environment, e.g. what should

  x = 17
  exec "x = 42"
  print x

do? The result of the last big argument on
python-dev about this seemed to be that we should
deprecate enough things so that you can't even *try*
to do anything like that.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg