GNU/Linux vs. Windows as Python platform

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 15:29:37 EDT 2001

"Aahz Maruch" <aahz at panix.com> wrote in message
news:9e3n28$r7f$1 at panix3.panix.com...
> In article <aQcN6.3414$uk2.938477 at news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>,
> Terry Reedy <reedy37 at home.com> wrote:
> >"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> One option that wasn't covered so far is the possibility of
> >> running both Linux AND Windows together in the same box
> >
> >Actually, this is what I am considering either for my current box (with
> >larger disk) or next box.  And my specific question is whether anyone
with
> >a dual boot box (or exactly matched boxes - same motherboard, CPU, disk,
> >memory) has run a head to head comparison of Python programs run on one
and
> >then the other.  (I realize there are problems with disk-intensive
programs
> >due different location of the OS, etc., but comparison could still be
> >interesting.)
>
> I think Alex was talking about either VMware or one of the other
> Linux-based Windoes emulators.

Yep, I specifically mentioned Win4Lin (cheaper than VMWare and, it
seems to me, more suitable if Linux is going to be used for 80% or
more of the machine's work, with Windows "at the margin" for a few
specific programs... VMWare is vastly more general of course, e.g. it
can run Win2000 while Win4Lin is limited to Win/98...).

Alex